Hi friends! Today I’m so excited to be sharing another recipe here on the Munchkin Blog – Easter Brunch Hash Brown Nests!
These edible nests are fun for little hands and also perfect for Easter morning. With minimal ingredients and prep, you’ll be able to make them up in no time. And, the new Splash Bowls are not only the perfect size, they are also super festive too, aren’t they? (see below) So read on, gather the ingredients below, and let the fun begin!
*Before starting, be sure to read through the entire recipe below, to ensure best results!
- 1/2 lb ground turkey (I used Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup red or yellow onion (finely diced)
- 2- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (I used 2 tbsp, but you can add more depending on desired taste)
- 1 bag of frozen shredded hash browns (thawed). I used Simply Potatoes brand – 20 oz bag
- 1 and 1/2- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- olive oil (or other oil of choice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley (finely chopped) or dried parsley (*this is optional)
*You will also need: cooking spray and a muffin tin, as well as hard-boiled eggs, seasonings for eggs as desired (I used Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Bend), spinach if desired, and various sides to serve alongside your main dish. Shown here: strawberry slices, baby carrots and cucumber flowers (cut using a mini cookie cutter)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray the wells of your muffin tin lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion to skillet and sauté for a few minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Next, Add turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with the side of a spoon, just until it is cooked through (approx. 3- 4 minutes).
- Then, add in maple syrup, coating turkey with it in the process.
- Cook another minute or so, until syrup is thickened a bit more/ worked into the meat.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside, allowing turkey to semi-cool.
- Next, in a large bowl combine hash browns, cheese and turkey mixture. Gently mix together until well-combined.
- Add a bit of salt, pepper and parsley, if desired.
- Finally, you are going to start filling your muffin tins. – Do this by taking a small amount of the mixture and placing it into each well. With the back of a spoon, work mixture up the sides of the wells, adding more as necessary. *Please note: the hash browns will get smaller/ “shrink” up in the pan as they cook, so overfill/ bring up and out of the wells a bit, to ensure their nest form, as shown above, once cooked.
- Cook nests in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until edges are crisp/ lightly browned. *Please note: oven times vary. Check on nests every 5 minutes or so, after the initial 15 minutes.
- Once done, remove pan from oven.
- To serve: place seasoned hard-boiled eggs (or other filler) inside of nests with a bit of spinach if desired. Serve alongside various fruits and veggies, as shown.
Happy Easter! For more delicious recipes that are as colorful as they are easy to make, check out @lunchesandlittles, and be sure to check out the Munchkin online shop for all sorts of cute feeding items for your little ones, like the ones shown in this post. I can’t wait to share my next recipe!