Hey Munchkin Blog readers! Lunches + Littles here with a serious question for you all: do you LOVE pumpkin? Or, do you really LOVE pumpkin? In our home, we really love it, and our kids are counting down the days until Grandpa brings his tasty pumpkin pie for the Holidays. Soooo good. But, while we wait for that, we love finding yummy ways to add pumpkin to various dishes, and today we are sharing the super simple recipe for our Homemade Mini Pumpkin Spice Waffles- and showing you a fun and festive way to serve them up too!
This recipe is really simple. In fact, most of the ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen and/or pantry. All you need is your ingredients, a couple of mixing bowls, and approximately 15 minutes start to finish. Sounds pretty amazing, right? And, just take a look… Can we say Y-U-M?!
These Homemade Mini Pumpkin Spice Waffles are not only fluffy and easy to make, but also so flavorful: brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin, cloves and more. Yep, it is a winner for sure. And because what kid doesn’t love a little food art, we took a few extra steps to turn these waffles into festive little turkeys. Here’s how we did it….
For starters we made our waffles using a mini waffle maker. We use this one and love it (it has lasted us years!). These little waffles are great for little ones, and also the perfect size for freezing for heating up in the the toaster later. Once you have cooked up a couple of mini waffles, take one and center it on your plate (we love these simple ones from Munchkin!). Then, take a second waffle and cut a much smaller waffle piece out of it for the face, as shown. A little tip: we just used a small kids cup as our size guide, and instead of cutting around it, we simply pressed the cup into the waffle, pressed down hard to separate/cut it out and voila! Place your smaller circle on top of your full-size waffle as shown below.
Next, you are going to want to decorate your little turkeys with fruit, etc. for the feathers. A couple examples we have shown here: sliced kiwi, apples, and mandarin segments. Oher ideas: strawberry slices, grapes, pineapple pieces, etc. Use what you have on hand and get decorating and/or let your little ones decorate their own. To finish off the face, we just cut a triangle out of a piece of mandarin peel for the beak, cut out a piece of red apple skin for the wattle, and used mini marshmallows with mini chocolate chips for the eyes.
Alternatively, you can simply serve these waffles with syrup (chopped pecans are great too) and enjoy. Get the full recipe below, and be sure to check out www.munchkin.com for the Multi Plates and Raise Forks you see here and so much more for your little ones and your home!
HOMEMADE MINI PUMPKIN SPICE WAFFLES:
- 2 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (does not need to be packed down)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- cup plain canned pumpkin
- 3/4 a stick butter (unsalted and melted)
- Non-stick cooking spray
You will also need: fruit as described above for decorating your turkey, or if serving waffles undressed up- you may want maple syrup and chopped pecans for topping.
- In a mixing bowl combine the following: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, ginger and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the following: eggs, vanilla, milk and buttermilk. Mix until well combined.
- Then, add in pumpkin and melted butter. Stir until well-incorporated.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Be careful not to overmix your batter, rather mixing until just
- Pre-heat your mini waffle maker and spray with your non-stick cooking spray. Place a small amount of batter into maker, barely filling the bottom (batter will rise). Adjust amount of batter used, based on size of waffle maker.
- Once done, remove waffle from maker, and set aside. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Plate as turkeys, as shown or serve with syrup, etc. and enjoy! Y-U-M!
Please note: we made approximately 15 mini waffles with this recipe, but number will vary based on size of waffles.
For more food inspo (lunchbox inspo and so much more) be sure to check out our feed, @lunchesandlittles where we are creating fun, family-friendly dishes like this all of the time.