I’ve always believed that my kids should eat the same foods as my husband and I (one family = one meal). So, both in our home and on my feed @lunchesandlittles, I like to serve up meals that are suitable for the family as a whole. These Shredded Buffalo Chicken Tacos may not seem like a kid-friendly dish at first, but I promise they are! These are not only delicious and a fun way to change up a traditional taco night, they are also a great way to introduce a bit of heat and new flavor to toddlers/ kids (and they are perfect for Taco Tuesday – or any day of the week – especially busy weeknights!).
The shredded chicken is flavorful with a dash of heat – which my hubby and I love, but the tacos are still mild enough for any age. The blue cheese dressed lettuce offers a cool topping (great for pairing with the heat) and makes offering green leaf lettuce so tasty. See full recipe below and be sure to read it through first (including the *Parent Tips* throughout) to ensure that the meal is perfect for everyone around your table!
- 6-7 medium-large sized chicken tenders
- Salt and pepper, divided (see specific measurements in Instructions below)
- 1 small head of lettuce or equivalent (you can use any kind you like; butter, iceberg, romaine, etc.)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 and 1/2 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, plus more for topping (if desired)
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp honey
- 10-12 tortillas of choice (we used corn tortillas)
- Start off by seasoning your chicken tenders generously with salt and pepper. Add seasoned chicken to a large pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. On stovetop, bring pot to a boil over high heat. Once just boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 7 min. Then, remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit an additional 12-15 min. (or until chicken is completely cooked through). Then transfer to a cutting board to cool.
- While chicken is cooking/ cooling, chop lettuce and set aside. *PARENT TIP* – Chop/ cut lettuce according to how your child(ren) will eat it. I am able to rough chop lettuce into longer pieces/ strips for our kids, but feel free to chop it finer, if necessary or desired.
- Next, in a mason jar combine lime juice, 2 tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, blue cheese and 1 tbsp water. Secure with lid and shake vigorously until very well combined and thickened. Alternatively, you can whisk these ingredients together in a small bowl. Set jar or bowl aside.
- Once chicken is cool, use two forks to shred it. You can also shred chicken using a paddle attachment in a stand mixer on medium speed. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Next, you want to make your buffalo sauce. To do this, combine sriracha, butter, honey and 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil in small saucepan over low heat. Whisk until sauce thickens. Once you have a nice, saucy consistency, remove from heat.
- Pour buffalo sauce over shredded chicken in bowl and stir to coat. *PARENT TIP* – Only add as much sauce as you think your child(ren) will enjoy. I am a firm believer that adding different flavors, textures, and spices to meals at a young age, helps to broaden your child’s pallet. And, I think a little heat is great for kids, but – if this is not something you typically serve – be careful to add the sauce in moderation (you can always pour more on the chicken for your tacos!
- Last but not least, pour your blue cheese dressing mixture over lettuce and toss to coat.
- Top tortillas (we charred ours stovetop) with shredded chicken, lettuce mixture, and extra blue cheese crumbles if desired. Feel free to add extra toppings too – such as matchstick carrots, cherry tomatoes, etc.
- Serve tacos with Spanish rice or beans, veggies or a fruit. Have fun with sides, play around with toppings and make this meal your own! YUM!
* Recipe yields approximately 5 servings